School of Christian Formation ... Online
Approved by the Office of Catechetical Leadership, Youth and Young Adult Ministry Formation • Anthony C. Marchica, Director
School of Christian Formation FAQs
If we have not answered your question below, please send us your question by e-mail or phone.
E-mail: Michelle@SearchlightVS.com • Phone: 772-563-9457
What should I do first?
The first place to visit is the Enrollment page. Whether you are a catechist seeking Advanced Catechist Certification or a Catholic school teacher seeking to fulfill your Religious Education requirements, enrollment is the first step. This page clearly outlines the steps of the enrollment process.
What are the system requirements for using the Searchlight online courses?
Attention Mac Users
You must be running OX 10.7 or higher. Install all security updates from Apple.
• High Speed Internet Connection: Do not try to use these programs online with a dial-up internet connection.
• Adobe Acrobat® Reader: This is required for opening the online class materials. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, it is a free download from the Adobe Website. Download the Free Acrobat Reader. If you already have Acrobat Reader, upgrade to the latest version. This application is necessary to support the electronic PDFs associated with each course. (Note: Electronic PDFs with interactive text fields are not supported on mobile devices and must be filled out via computer.)
• The online tutorials are accessible on mobile devices. As stated above, electronic PDFs with interactive text input fields are not supported on mobile devices. You will need to input answers and reflections into the electronic PDFs via computer. If you do want to complete your interactive course PDFs on an iPad or iPhone, you can purchase the "PDF Forms" App from the Apple App Store.
If you have technical questions regarding the use of these programs, contact the School Director. For contact info, click here.
Is the Searchlight Virtual School part of the Diocese of Palm Beach?
The Searchlight Virtual School was created for the purpose of serving the Diocese of Palm Beach. We now also officially serve several other dioceses. However, the school is a division of Ocean East Publishing, which is a privately-owned company.
Who issues Certificates: The Searchlight Virtual School or the Diocese of Palm Beach?
While the Searchlight Virtual School provides and facilitates the online courses, the Diocese of Palm Beach issues both the Certificates of Completion and Certification when the certification requirements have been met. Careful records are maintained by the Office of Catechetical Leadership, Youth and Young Adult Ministry Formation for the Diocese of Palm Beach. For those outside the Diocese of Palm Beach who participate in the school, certificates and certification are issued through the Diocese of Palm Beach unless one's own diocese has a formal participation agreement. In this case, the certificates may be issued through one's own diocese.
Can I take the courses using different computers in different locations?
Yes. The online tutorial portion of each course is online and available 24/7. If you want to be able to complete the worksheets from a second computer, for example, your computer at work, save the worksheets to a USB Flash Drive.* Always access, enter information, and save your answers using the document saved to the Flash Drive. This way you can work on the courses anywhere you can connect to the internet.
* Flash Drive: A small, portable flash memory card that plugs into a computer's USB port and functions as a portable hard drive. USB flash drives are touted as being easy-to-use as they are small enough to be carried in a pocket and can plug into any computer with a USB drive. USB flash drives have less storage capacity than an external hard drive, but they are smaller and more durable because they do not contain any internal moving parts. USB flash drives also are called thumb drives, jump drives, pen drives, key drives, tokens, or simply USB drives.
I sent in an Enrollment Application but haven't been contacted by a Searchlight Representative. What should I do?
If you sent in an electronic enrollment form and you have not received an e-mail confirmation within 24-48 hours max, please call our office: 772-563-9457. Also, please review the information provided in the next question.
I am having trouble using the "Auto Submit" button on the forms. What should I do?
It is actually safer not to use the auto-submit buttons we have embedded in the electronic forms. Please use an alternate method for submitting the forms. As a matter of fact, many of the auto submit buttons have been removed from the forms. Open the form, fill it out, and save it to your local computer. Then send us an e-mail and attach the form to that e-mail. Send the e-mail to: Michelle@SearchlightVS.com. An e-mail link can also be found at the bottom of each page and on the "Contact" page.
I am from another diocese and would like to take the School of Formation courses. Can I do this?
Yes, all Catholics are welcome to enroll and use our courses. However, we cannot guarantee that your own diocese will recognize these credits. We do welcome participation by other dioceses. You might consider calling the Director of your own diocese's Catechetical/Religious Education Office. Explain about the Searchlight Virtual School and invite him or her to visit the web site. Direct him or her to the Diocesan Affiliates page.
Can a Catholic Diocese other than Palm Beach use the Searchlight Virtual School courses?
The Searchlight Virtual School has been set up in a way that will allow other dioceses to make the school part of their diocese's catechetical ministry. Please visit the Diocesan Affiliates page.
How do I access the School of Christian Formation courses?
The SCF courses can be accessed from any page within the SCF division of the web site. Roll over the "SCF Courses" button at the top of any page. Read and follow the directions on the page that opens.
How can I get the course materials?
To receive course materials you must:
• Be enrolled in the Searchlight Virtual School and possess a Student Number.
• Order the course of your choice.
When the above steps are complete, your class materials are sent to you as an attachment to an e-mail. You receive the materials for both the online tutorial content and the text assessment via one electronic PDF. The electronic PDF contains the worksheets that must be completed to receive credit for the course. The content is delivered via two routes: internet (online tutorials) and course text. SCF students are required to obtain the course text. The Searchlight Virtual School does not provide the course text.
How do I attach a form or the worksheets to my e-mail?
In your e-mail program you should compose a simple message and address it to: Michelle@SearchlightVS.com. Give the message a "subject." Then click the "attach" icon (typically looks like a paper clip). Choose "Browse." The "Browse" feature allows you to find and choose the folder containing the document you want to attach. When you locate the appropriate document, highlight it, then choose "attach or open." A PDF icon should pop into your e-mail. Once it does, you can send the e-mail.
The Searchlight Virtual School is a division of Ocean East Publishing.
The Searchlight software programs used on this site are the property of Ocean East Publishing and are for individual use by Searchlight students.
© 2017 Ocean East Publishing
All rights reserved.
Phone: 772-563-9457 • E-mail: Michelle@SearchlightVS.com